Tuesday, October 18, 2016

"Society's Child: My Autobiography" by Janis Ian

Janis Ian has been one of my favorite singers since I was a teenager. I first became aware of her when she released "At Seventeen." Later I heard about her song, "Society's Child,"but I did not hear that song until years later. I can relate to her song lyrics. Listening to her songs has helped me through times when I was depressed. Society's Child: My Autobiography is a very moving book. I had heard about some of things about which she wrote, but that is not the same thing as reading about them from her point of view. She has had a lot of hard times in her life, but she writes about these times without displaying self pity. "Society's Child" was a song about interracial dating. She wrote that song when she was fourteen years old. It was released in 1965. I find it hard to fathom how adults could treat her the way they did in response to that song. There were people who spat at her face and in her food. She received death threats. A radio station in Atlanta that played the song was set on fire. "Some People's Lives" is another very moving song. It is about people who need someone to love them. This is a book that I highly recommend reading. I can relate to many things about she wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment