Friday, July 7, 2017

The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley

The Autobiography of Malcolm X As told to Alex Haley is a book that I think that we should all read at least once. I am rereading it now. I cannot remember exactly when I read this book the first time. If one wants to understand race relations in the USA this book is necessary reading. Along with this book I recommend the writings of Nikki Giovanni and Maya Angelou. I want to read more of the autobiographical writings of Maya Angelou. I do not know how anyone can remain unmoved by the writings of these three people. When I see photographs of Michelle Obama I am reminded of the Autobiography of Malcolm X and the writings of Nikki Giovanni. I am an admirer of Michelle Obama, but I wonder why she chooses to wear the hair style that she does. I wonder why she does not keep her natural hair style. She has the right to choose her own hair style, but what statement does this send to young African Americans? I think that all people should be able to be who they were born to be. I love and accept myself as I am, and I want to do what I can to help others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment