Monday, September 26, 2016

Ya-Ya Novels by Rebecca Wells

I recently read Little Altars Everywhere and Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells. My reaction to these novels is mixed. I found parts of these books to be moving. There were parts that I found humorous. There were parts of these books that I did not like at all. I did enjoy the strong individuality of the female characters. I could not identify with the desire of some of the characters to be popular at times. I was moved by the effect of abuse in different forms oin some of the characters. These books have been described as being funny. They are funny in parts, but mostly for me they were sad. Parts of these books were hard for me to read. This in part be because I was never popular when I was growing up, but I never tried to be popular. I have never tried to fit in if it meant compromising who I am. I will not condemn these books completely, but I cannot recommend them fully.

I recently started reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. This is an excellent read. I will write more about it when I have finished reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment