Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou

I read The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou last week. One time I was walking across the Wake Forest University campus when I say Maya Angelou sitting and talking with a group of students. She looked up and said, "Hi." I said "Hi" to her. Since she was talking to students I did not interrupt, but I continued on my way. There are some of her poems that I like very much, "Phenomenal Woman," "Still I Rise" and "They Went Home" for example. I enjoy the sassiness, to borrow from her vocabulary, of some of her poems. In common with Nikki Giovanni, she dealt with racial themes. Maya Angelou was a woman of many talents, poet, writer of prose, screenplays and plays, director, composer, etc. I do like her poetry very much, but I am not touched as much by her poetry as I am by the poetry of Nikki Giovanni. I am not saying anything against her poetry. I would still recommend her writings as I do those of Nikki Giovanni. Both of these writers deserve the acclaim that they have received. It is time for me to reread I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

No comments:

Post a Comment