Monday, March 6, 2017

The Essential Clive Barker

The Essential Clive Barker contains selections from novels and stories by Clive Barker. This book is a rich banquet. Mr. Barker has a marvelous way with words. Here is an example of this: "I'm like a man who's hired to break into his own house, who finds - much to his astonishment - that he's asleep in his own bed." There is much to delight the reader in this book. When reading his works, watching his films or looking at his art I am amazed at the richness of his imagination. He is able to portray vividly different landscapes and living beings that are outside of one's experience yet seem somehow familiar. I am always moved by the power of his art. He says that one of his influences is Jean Cocteau. I can see this influence, but he has a voice that is completely his own. I have not read all of his books, so I am happy that I have more to discover. I know that I will not be disappointed. In reading his works my intellect, imagination, libido and other parts of my mind are stimulated. I highly recommend the works of Clive Barker in any medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment