Wednesday, August 15, 2018

"The Sociopath Next Door: The Ruthless Versus the Rest of Us" by Martha Stout, PhD

The Sociopath Next Door: The Ruthless Versus the Rest of Us is an interesting books, but it is lacking in ways. The author says that four per cent of the population is sociopathic. She repeats this point too often in the book. The main characteristic of the sociopath is the lack of a conscience. I am relieved to learn that I am not a sociopath. According to Dr. Stout sociopaths often become addicts. She does not seem aware that often people who are heavily addicted to drugs often do things they would not do if they were not addicts. We might feel guilty doing some things in some circumstances that we might not do in others. I know that I am not the only one who might not feel guilty about stealing from a corporation but would feel guilty about stealing from a person. My conscience is stronger when I am dealing with people I love. It can be almost absent when I deal some others. There is nothing that deals with possibilities in the book. Se paints too many things as being black or white. She also focuses too much on heterosexuals. I did learn some things from the book. It is entertaining. It could be better though.

No comments:

Post a Comment