Tuesday, August 23, 2016

"Quilting the Black-Eyed Pea" by Nikki Giovanni

Nikki Giovanni's book entitled Quilting the Black-Eyed Pea: Poems and Not Quite Poems was published in 2002. Whenever I finish one of her books I want to read more of her writings. She can comfort us with words, but the role of the writer is not always to comfort. She writes often of racial injustices. Those injustices continue today. She writes about the accomplishments of African Americans. She hints at sexuality. Here are some of my favorite lines from this collection:"And isn't that literature should teach us. To be our own hero. To love. To cry. To laugh. To live. And try to let others live, too." I do not believe that anyone can read her writing without being affected. When we look at photograph of the author on the cover of the book we see intelligence, wit, mischievousness and joy among other things. I feel a bit sad, because I will have to return this book to the library, and my other books by her are in a place where I cannot now read them. I will enjoy them again when I have access to them.
 Actually there are three more books of her poetry at the library. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment