Wednesday, December 13, 2017

"Weaveworld" by Clive Barker

There is always something magical about the writing and art of Clive Barker. His stories, films and other art do not fit neatly into any single genre. Weaveworld has aspects of horror and fantasy. Clive Barker uses language very well. There are a few things that make me shake me shake my head. Rue Street is not the most original name for a street. I first read this book when it was first published in paperback, and did not read it again until this week. It was first published as a hardback in 1987. This is a book that one can read multiple times without losing interest. A world of magic is woven into a carpet in order to protect it and its inhabitants. I felt myself drawn into the world of the book as the main characters were drawn into the world inside the carpet. Few writers posses the mastery of the English language that Mr. Barker does. Here is a phrase that struck me, "He felt sick as a flea in a leper's jock strap." I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys getting lost in a book. Clive Barker remains one of my favorite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment