Thursday, January 25, 2018

"Bittersweet: A Novel" by Miranda Beverley-Whittemore

Bittersweet: A Novel by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore has a compelling story, but the writing is uneven. The descriptions seem overwrought in places. Inanimate objects are often imbued with too much meaning. I did not want to set this novel aside before finishing reading it, but I was tempted at times to set it aside or donate it to Goodwill without finishing it. There were some things that seemed to be included for shock value. Mostly I did enjoy it, but at times it seemed like the author did not know what kind of book she wanted to write. In places it is literary, and at others it was like a romance novel. I do not condemn or praise the book. It is not a book that I will reread, and I probably will donate it somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment