Thursday, January 4, 2018

More Childhood Memories

I remember that, as a child, I grew to hate several television programs and movies that my family watched annually or more frequently. Some of these I still avoid watching. "The Wizard of Oz" was something I came to despise. At Halloween and Christmas I cam to dread "The Peanuts" holiday specials. I came not to be able to tolerate "I Love Lucy." I know that these are considered classics, but it seemed like I was almost forced to watch them. Even as a child I wanted to have some control over what I watched on TV or to what music I listened. Fortunately I was able to avoid watching TV westerns. If I had been forced to watch them it would have been a form of torture. There are films that I enjoy watching multiple times as an adult, but they are ones that I choose. Enjoying things that are not in the mainstream is just a part of who I am. Back to the theme of this post, "The Honeymooners" was another program that I never could tolerate. I am not sure if it was because of the threat of spousal abuse, but for me it was something that I have always avoided. I have heard it said that children enjoy watching the same things repeatedly. That was definitely not true concerning me.

No comments:

Post a Comment