Sunday, February 26, 2017

Four More Books

These are four books which I read during the past week. I am writing about them in the order in which I read them. I had not read any books by the authors of these books.

I had seen Maeve Binchy's name prior to reading A Week in Winter, her last book. She died shortly she finished writing this novel. Mostly it takes place in a town on the Atlantic Coast of Ireland. The story centers around a woman from this town who, against her family's wishes, travels to the USA with a man whom she meets while he is travelling in Ireland. She hides from her family what happened to her during her stay in the USA. She returns to Ireland and turns an estate into an inn. We are given the background stories of the first guests at this inn and the stories of their stay at the inn. There are visitors from USA, Sweden, England and Ireland. There are other characters from the town where the inn is located. The main theme of the book seems to be fulfilling one's own destiny instead of doing what other people think that one should do with one's life. It is a delightful life.

I had heard of Mickey Spillane and his character Mike Hammer for many years, but I had not been interested in reading his novels, but I found this book, The Killing Man. I thought I would give his books a chance. I must admit that I did not have high expectations. I did enjoy the book more than I thought I would. I am not sure if I will read any more of his books. At times the descriptions seemed melodramatic. There were some unexpected twists in the plots, but the writing at times seemed formulaic. It is good light reading, but it is not what I find completely satisfying.

Good Talk Dad: The Birds and the Bees...and Other Conversations We Forgot to Have is a mildly amusing book by Bill Geist and Willie Geist, father and son journalists and TV personalities. There are some laughs here. I can relate to their stories somewhat. There are some things that remind me of my relationship with my own father, but mostly it is outside of my realm of experience. I think that many people would find things here to which they can relate.

Warriors Don't Cry is a moving book written by Melba Pattillo Beals. SHe was one of nine African American students in Little Rock, Arkansas who were chosen to integrate the city's Central High School. I find it hard to imagine how they could be treated as they were by the white students and their parents. They were attacked physically and verbally. They showed great bravery during this ordeal. It is a story that is well worth reading. No one should ever be treated in the manner in which they were treated, and we need to make sure that no one is ever again treated in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment