Saturday, March 19, 2016

Fascination with Celebrities: Something I Do Not Understand

I have never understood the fascination that many people have with celebrities. This is definitely not a new development. Information can just be spread more quickly today because of technology. It is also not new for many people to want to know about the private lives of artists and people in positions of power. At least once in France it was necessary for a window to be broken when the queen was giving birth. because there were so many people crowded into the bed chamber that there was not enough oxygen. If what someone in the public eye is not doing in private is not harming anyone else I do not know why it should be held up to public scrutiny. If they make their private lives public that is a different matter, but I am not interested in the private lives of celebrities. I would like to see the day when the question of anybody's sexual orientation is of no importance, celebrity or non celebrity. I can understand the private lives of people in positions of power being made public when it is a question of hypocrisy. Examples of this would be someone fighting publicly against LGBTQ rights while privately being part of that community or someone who points out a political opponent having sex with prostitutes while doing the same thing. Another thing that I do not understand is putting celebrities on pedestals. No one is better than or of more value than anyone else. We are all equal. I have enough to deal with in my own life that I do not want to waste my time or energy worrying about what celebrities do in their own private lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment