Thursday, March 10, 2016

Kalinka: Red Star Red Army Chorus

This is a collection of Russian, Ukrainian, and Albanian folk songs along with music by Russian and Georgian composers. The CD was released in 1992. There is an old Soldier's song and an old gypsy romance. There are compositions by Lev Knipper, Mikhail Glinka, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Vano Muradelli and others. "Kalinka" is one of my favorites. "The Regimental Polka" gives the disc a very upbeat opening. "The Pine Trees Are Rustling" is called a Russian folk song, but its composer was Georgian. "Flight of the Bumblebee" by Rimsky-Korsakov, the shortest piece, is the only instrumental track. "Volga Boat Song is one that I have heard for years. "The Pine Trees Are Rustling" was composed in the 1950's. "Kamarinskaya, was composed in 1848. I think I will be be listening to this CD many times. I love the sound of Russian male choruses.

No comments:

Post a Comment