Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Post-Scriptum: Cristina Branco

I first read about Cristina Branco and fados in a small magazine article in 2000 or 2001. According to this article fados had their origin in Portugal, but they became popular in Brazil before being reintroduced in Portugal. The article was a review of this CD, "Post Scriptum." What I read in that article made me want to hear the CD, but I did not think that I would be able to find it. It was released on a French label. Not long after that I was surprised to find it in a music store. I bought it immediately. Cristina Branco has a beautiful voice, and she sang these fados wonderfully. Fados have a melancholy, but they also have a lightness. I love the sound of the Portuguese guitar played on some of these songs. The arrangements of these songs are simple and beautiful.

One of my stations on Pandora radio is one dedicated to fados.

No comments:

Post a Comment