Sunday, February 7, 2016

Do People Really Want Freedom of Speech?

People often say that they want freedom of speech, but is this really true? Many people support freedom of speech as long as the agree with what is being said or written, but they want to silence opposing points of view. They also want to silence those who say or write things that they find offensive. If we disagree with someone's point of view it is more effective to state the reasons for which we disagree. This is most effective if it is done in a civil way. I strongly despise hate speech, but would making it illegal be effective? If it incites violence that is a different matter. I am not talking about what should be taught in public schools here, that is also a different matter. I also do not allow hate speech on any of my pages on Facebook, Google+ or other places. I will listen to the opposing points of view as long as I am able to state my point of view. (I am talking about personal conversation here.) I have had people who did not want to hear my point of view in person but wanted to post their views on my Facebook timeline. I have deleted comments like this. They have other places where they can post their point of view. I cannot understand people who go to the site of someone whose views they do not share. Here are some examples, a homophobe going to a LGBT site, an atheist going to a Christian site, a Christian going to an atheist site, etc. If you do not like what is on a site or page, don't go to that site. Don't go out of your way to spew hatred. Also some people take their religious or political stands too seriously. Some people need to get a sense of humor. If someone makes a joke about your religion or other views don't take it as a personal attack. The Bible is full of humor. Tucker Max, in his fratire books and on his first blog, wrote things that I find offensive, but I find these writings very entertaining. I would not want anyone to say that he did not have the right to say or write these things. The main thing that I learned from these writings concerned the importance of being oneself and not conforming to what others think we should do. I was also reminded not to take my views too seriously. I believe in the freedom of speech as long as the rights of others are not infringed upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment