Monday, October 19, 2015

Boiled in Lead

I am starting the day off with Boiled in Lead's CD "Orb." Their music has been labeled "folk-rock," "rock'n'reel," "folk-punk," etc. I just think it is fun music. They play original compositions and songs from around the world. Themes include incest and sorroricide, ("Son, Oh Son") anti-war messages ("Ammy (Dream Song" and " Brave Bombadier"), and an "obligatory dysfunctional marriage song (The Town of Ballybay"). There are several instrumental pieces. Instruments played include tapan, Indian bells, riq, mandolin, tin whistle, saxophone,various guitars, dulcimer, zurna, flute, accordion, harmonica, etc. There is a song in Swedish, "Glasena Klingar." "Hard Times is a song about the assassination of William McKinley. One of the more danceable tunes is Macedonian one in 7/8 time. All of the songs make me want to move in some ways. I guess I am a leadhead. That is what they call their fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment