Wednesday, October 28, 2015

An Unexpected Post

I got off work early today, so I was able to come to the public library and get online. Internet access here is limited to two hours a day. I am making notes at home for future posts.

Yesterday I watched "Olympia," Leni Riefenstahl's documentary about the Berlin Olympics in 1936. There is some beautiful camera work, especially during the fencing and diving. Of particular interest aspect is seeing Jesse Owens and the reactions to his wins. I notice at one time he is referred to in German as the black American runner, but in the English subtitle it just refers to him as the American runner. In one race there is a reference to competition between "the black and white races." There is another shot that can be seen as racist, a man from India is seen hopping, then there is a shot of a kangaroo jumping. Is there supposed to be a connection between these two shots? The documentary is divided into two parts, "Festival of Nations" and "Festival of Beauty." At the beginning of the second part there are men running then they are seen swimming nude. They then relax and get somewhat intimate in a sauna. There is no sex, but arms are rubbed. Penises are seen. It is a nice, gentle interlude. It is interesting to see which teams give the Nazi salute at the beginning of the games. The French are among those who give the salute. "Olympia" is definitely worth watching at least once if just for the camera work.

I am currently rereading Witches of Eastwick by John Updike. The book and the movie have very little in common with each other. I will write more about this after I have finished the book, and I have more time online.

No comments:

Post a Comment