Sunday, November 8, 2015

Krzysztof Penderecki

I am listening to a CD of music by Penderecki. The pieces on this CD are Anaklasis, for string orchestra and percussion, Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, Fonogrammi, De Natura Sonoris No. 1, Capriccio, Canticum Canticorum Salomonis, De Natura Sonoris No. 2 and The Dream of Jacob. Anaklasis was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, and the others were performed by the Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra. All were conducted by Penderecki. I have a few CD's of his music, and I want to get more. I am always profoundly moved by his music. Another CD has Emanationen, Partita, Cello Concerto and Symphony No. 1. I also have his Polish Requiem. Some people find it challenging to listen to his music, but I do not think that the aim of music is always to relax us. Music can move us in many different. Sometimes it can make us want to dance. Sometimes music can reflect the horrors of war. Sometimes music can help us to focus our attention. It can communicate to us in many ways. As I would not want to be without food I do not want to live without music.

Krzysztof is one of my favorite names. If I had not already changed my first name to Vlk I might consider changing it to Krzysztof. Who knows what the future holds? Maybe my name could comeday be Vlk Krzysztof Smrt. It would be fun to see how much automated computerized calls would fuck that up.

Gute Nacht, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment