Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Xiu Xiu: A Promise

Xiu Xiu is one of the bands whose music I had to listen to a few times before I could grow to appreciate it. I have become very fond of their music. Jamie Stewart's voice can be delicate , and it can have a harder. His voice can have a heartbreaking quality. Their recording of Tracy Chapman's song "Fast Car" comes close to bringing me to tears. I enjoy the originality of their instrumentation and arrangements. There is something about there sound that reminds me of Nico. I am not saying they are imitating her. Their originality and unusual arrangements remind me of her. One of my favorite lines from one of their songs is from the song, "Walnut House:"  "Hurting my butthole like a lover would." "Sad Pony Guerrilla Girl" is a poignant song. Jamie Stewart, the band's sole constant member, has said that he is bisexual and queer. I want to hear more of their music.

Gute Nacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment