Friday, November 27, 2015

Patti Smith

Patti Smith has long been one of my favorite singers and poets. It is hard for me to believe that it has been forty years since her first album with the Patti Smith Group, "Horses," was released. I was introduced to her music by a very good friend. He suggested that I listen to her music instead of that of Janis Ian when I was depressed. He liked both singers. I listen to both, but Patti Smith is more likely to lift my mood. I am listening to "Radio Ethiopia," the second album by the Patti Smith Group. Her lyrics are powerful. Well that is not surprising, since she was a poet before becoming a singer. The performances by all of the musicians on this album are also powerful. This album was more experimental than "Horses." It has some of my favorite songs, "Pissing in a River," "Pumping (My Heart)," "Distant Fingers," and "Ain't It Strange." All of the album is great. There is not anything about the album that I don't like. It holds up to multiple listenings.

Gute Nacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment