Thursday, July 16, 2015

Marianne Faithfull

Marianne Faithfull is another of my favorite singers. I am listening to her CD "Kissin' Time." She is one of the singers who has gotten better with time. A dear friend introduced me to her music over twenty years ago. I love her gravelly voice, and she pack so much power in her songs. The opening song on the CD I mentioned above is "Sex with Strangers." She did that and a couple more with Beck. She also did a song about Nico with Dave Stewart. (Nico is another of my favorites, more about her another time. I have a CD that she sis with only piano accompaniment, "20th Century Blues." It was not known for years that she wrote the lyrics for the song, "Sister Morphine." I think her recording is much better than the one by the Rolling Stones. Her song "Why d'ya Do it" deals with jealousy. She said she found the song cathartic, because it deals with negative emotions. She spoke about her song "Time Square," and she talked about having emotions so strong that if you let them out it would devastate those around you. I can relate to that. She did a recording of "John Lennon's song, "Working Class Hero." It is a great recording. Few singers move me as much as she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment