Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Visitors - ABBA

I am listening to my favorite album by ABBA, "The Visitors." Unfortunately it was their last one. It has the most emotional content. The title song is rather paranoid. I remember that at the time come critics said this was a reflection of Swedish fear of the Soviet Union. "Slipping Through My Fingers" is about a parent feeling melancholy about a child growing up and slipping away. "Two for the Price of One" is about a guy answering a personal ad in the newspaper. (This was released in 1981.) This is a wickedly funny song. When he calls the woman who had placed the ad is looking for a man to share with her mother. Most of ABBA's music to me seems to be factory made. It can be fun, but there seems to be a lack of emotional depth. This is the only one of their albums I have on CD. One of the most moving songs is about a couple splitting. This is fitting because both of the couples who made up ABBA were getting divorced. "Soldiers" is another very moving. This album stands up very well with the passing of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment