Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Akram Raslan Update

It has been confirmed by the Damascus-based news service Souriatna that Akram Ralsan died in the spring of 2013. His death is thought to have been caused by torture. In his cartoons he had spoken out strongly against the regime of Bashir al-Assad. I had the honor of chatting with him several times on Facebook. It was a great honor that he considered me his friend. He spoke of people being afraid of going out on the street. He himself was afraid of being arrested, but he did not let this stop from speaking out against an unjust regime. He showed great courage in his cartoons. I am not surprised to learn of his death, but I am saddened by it. He has been recognized for his courage, and I hope that his name and the message of his cartoons will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment