Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Update

I am using a computer at the public library. The library is not open on Sundays, so I can only come here on Tuesdays. I will update on my phone at times.

On Sunday I watched "Brother to Brother," a film directed in 2004 by Rodney Evans. Anthony Mackie plays a gay African-American art student. He meets Bruce Nugent, played by Roger Robinson, who had been an artist and writer in the Harlem Renaissance. One of the themes is the resistance within the African-American struggle for equal rights. There are flashbacks in the movie that show writers and artists involved in the Harlem Renaissance, such as Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes and Wallace Thurman. What is written on the DVD case in places does not make sense. The film is called surrealistic. There is nothing surrealistic about the movie. There is a quote from The Hollywood Reporter  that says that this film "Heralds the emergence of an exciting new voice in black filmmaking."Why not just say that he is an exciting new voice in filmaking? This is a moving and sometimes sexy movie. The theme of interracial gay sex is also shown as well as gay and heterosexual promiscuity. This is an excellent film.

I am finishing Reading Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. It was published in 2003. It is the diary of an artist, Misty Marie Wilmot (Though on the dust jacket she is called Misty Tracy Wilmot.) whose husband is in a coma. It is not surprising that things are often not as they initially appear to be. Some things I suspected, but there hints along the way, as there were in Fight Club. I plan on reading more of his books. This is a book that is hard to put down.

I heard from my friend in Arkansas last night. He still wants me to move there. I love him, and I love my new friend here. I do not know yet what to do. I just know I need to move as soon as I can.

I hope to write soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment