Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Altruistic Asshole

One of my core values has always been altruism. Being an asshole and being altruistic are not mutually exclusive. Even when I considered myself an atheist I had the love for doing things for others. I have heard Christians say that atheist are not capable of doing good. I say this is utter         bullshit. Every human being has the capacity for doing good and the capacity for doing Evil. We all know that there have been great evil perpetuated in the name of God, and great goods have been done by atheists and people of other faiths. You may be wondering where being an asshole comes into this. We have to be assholes who would want to hurt other people, the planet or the living beings on the planet. Sometimes we have to be like Greenpeace and get in the faces of those whose actions could lead to the death of this planet. We need to take up the words of Malcolm X, "By any means necessary." I would like to be able to help others who are in true need. However I cannot help others when this harms myself. I have had people online who say that I am a bad person, because I do not give them money. Some of these people claim to be Christian. I am not going to give money to someone I only know through a website. I have no way of knowing if they are being honest. If they persist in asking for money and/or calling me a bad person I cut off communication. I will continue to stand firm in my belief that all people are worthy of love. To all who disagree with that I say, "Fuck you."

No comments:

Post a Comment