Monday, September 1, 2014

How to be an effective Asshole

There is the saying that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but in reality the wheel that squeaks too much gets replaced.
 As I said before being a Professional Asshole does not mean being an Asshole all of the time. Being quiet and cooperative does not mean letting people take advantage of you. This is a lesson I learned at a young age. When I was about seven or eight years old I had to take a cab to school. I remember hearing the dispatcher giving the driver the price for the ride (cabs in this town have flat fees not meters), but when we arrived at the school the driver tried to charge me more than the rate the dispatcher had given him. I guess they thought I would not say anything. They were mistaken. When I was in college my roommate worked for the school newspaper in charge of distribution. The editor of the paper was used to being able to intimidate people. One day she came to the room looking for my roommate. She tried to intimidate me in the way she did other people. I do not remember what I said to her, but she learned that I was not someone was not going to be treated in the way she did other people. The element of surprise helped in this situation.
Sometimes not giving in can be helpful when dealing with poor customer service, as it did with the cab drivers. When I was living in Greensboro, NC I would take the bus often. There was a driver who often leave stops earlier than the scheduled time. Once I had gone food shopping, and I had bought some frozen vegetables. I arrived at the bus stop before the bus was scheduled to leave, but it had already left. I called the transit office. After it was confirmed that my watch had the correct time the dispatcher apologized. I said that an apology was not enough because of the frozen foods that I had bought. It was a hot summer day. A supervisor came in a car, and he gave me a ride home from the shopping center. That driver no longer left stops early after that.
Sometimes it can be very easy to change the course of a conversation or to stop it altogether. When I was taking a course in conversational French the professor wanted to talk about the "generation gap." This was a topic that did not interest me at all. I simply asked her what defined a generation. I stated that in my generation of my family I had cousins who were twenty years older than I. Members of my own generation of my family had children who were close to me in age. She was not able to answer my question and another topic was chosen.
As has been made plain in earlier posts I do not have anything against profanity, but if it is overly used it can lose its effectiveness. Sometimes I enjoy the look of shock on the faces when I say fuck or other words that they do not expect me to say. The element of surprise is very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment