Sunday, September 28, 2014

S.H.A.R.P and A.R.A.

There are two groups whose beliefs I share, S.H.A.R.P. (Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice) and A.R.A (Anti Racist Action). The latter also stands against sexism and homophobia. A.R.A has confronted, sometimes violently, white-supremacist groups. I first learned about them from a compilation cd of hardcore music that they put out. I have long been a fan of hardcore music, and I was happy to see that they take stands against sexism and homophobia. There have been times when they were able to get racist groups to abandon their protests simply by taking a stand against them and refusing to back down. I became aware of S.H.A.R.P. from a young punk friend in the late 1990s. They also have put out hardcore music. One of the things that I liked about the Dead Kennedys was their stands against the same things that A.R.A. do. One of the few vinyl 45s that I bought was their single "Nazi Punks Fuck Off." Although I do support A.R.A. and their refusing to back down when confronted by racist groups I would prefer this done without violence except in cases of self defense.
I may be getting older, but being a punk is still part of who I am. That is just one of the many facets of my personality. I very much enjoy the juxtaposition of things that are not usually seen together.
(a note: if you are upset by my lack of punctuation that's too bad. I am more interested in expressing myself than I am in the placement of commas, colons, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment