Friday, September 19, 2014

Americans Abroad: If They're Just Going to Bitch that Things Are not Like Home They Should not Travel Abroad

When in Europe travelling in Europe I can understand why people from the U.S. are not always well liked there. I remember In Paris hearing some Americans complaining loudly that the food wasn't like the food at home. Of, course it isn't. Why go somewhere else if you want things to be the same? The only people with whom I had any problems in Europe have been from the U.S. When going from London to Paris on a train and ferry I had to have a reservation on on the train going from London to Dover, so I got a reservation for the train going from Calais to Paris. The first train was full, and I thought the train might be dull as well. I got in my assigned seat. The car was mostly empty, but I got on early. I did not know if a lot of other people might board. An American prick came up and demanded that I move to another seat. I do not know why he thought he needed to sit where I was sitting. I told that I had the seat reserved. He finally went to another seat in a huff. I don't know what made him think I would move just because he told me to do so. In Prague I overheard someone I believe was American. He definitely sounded American, the accent. He was changing some money. He was yelling at the clerk saying that he wanted the same exchange rate he had received earlier. He was using very rude language, and the woman was trying to explain to him that exchange rates constantly change. I definitely wanted to go over and let the jerk know that he had no right to abuse her in this was. I wish I had done so, and I would if I came upon the same situation today. A lot of Americans say that people coming to the U.S. should know how to speak English, yet these same people want everyone in other countries to speak English when they go there. This is another reason I like to be able to speak the language of countries that I visit, or as much of the language as I can before I get there with the desire to learn more. This is also why i am happy that people in Europe do not think that I am from the U.S. Before I went to Prague a friend said that if I wanted her to send me things from the U.S. while In Europe she would send them to me, because she thought I would miss a lot of things. I explained to her that I was more likely to miss things from Europe when I returned to the U.S. rather than vice versa. This angered her. Oh well. I did not tell most people that I had not planned on returning to the U.S., but you know about that already.
As a side note, in the dorm when I was in school someone once put on the door of my room a flyer about studying abroad with a photo of a woman in a bikini taped to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment