Tuesday, September 16, 2014

If They Cannot Accept Who I am, Fuck 'Em

One of the difficulties of returning to my hometown was returning to the place where I had so much pain growing. Yes, this was years ago.It is time for me to face it and let it go. We can only defeat our monsters of our past if we confront them not by running away from them. We can learn from our past pains. I might have been able to avoid some of the hurt from other people if I had changed some things about my behavior, but the inner pain that that would have caused me would have been worse. I would have been miserable if i could not accept who I was and I am. It was a great relief when I accepted being gay. I have been told that I try to be different. Why would I choose to be treated like an outsider most of my life? Even with other people who I thought would be accepting of people who were different I was marginalized. Too often we look at things that make others different rather than things held in common. I have know people with whom I have had common tastes, but rather than being willing to enjoy those things with me they focus on my tastes that are different from them.
One thing from math that helped me with learning languages and helped me in accepting things I love from other cultures was the concept of variables. We were taught that a variable was just another way of expressing a number. I carried this concept over into the learning of other languages. The mistake that many people make is being overwhelmed by the new language being different from the one to which they are accustomed. I just started thinking, so this is a just a different way of saying things. Things also helped me in accepting things that some other people see as being strange. Just because it is different from what we are used to does not mean that someone else may not truly enjoy. As long as we are not hurting other people we should all be allowed to be true to who we are. I am hiding who I am. To paraphrase Tucker Max, if they can't accept who I am, fuck 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment