Saturday, September 6, 2014

Taking Chances

There have been few times when I have taken a chance on a big move in my when I fully regretted taking the chance. Things did not always work out as I planned, but I am glad that I took the risk.
In the early 1990s I moved to Winston-Salem, NC to live in a house with a friend. This eventually led me to getting a job after being on disability (more about that another time) and not being able to find a job for too many years. I knew that if someone would give me a chance I would be able to do a good job. I was able to do this, and this led me to feeling better about myself.
As I mentioned I went to Prague in 2004. I have no regrets about this adventure even though it did not end the way I had hoped. I have very good memories of the city. I was able to learn some of the language I had been interested in for years. Before going there I had not had a real opportunity or the motivation to do that. I was able to spend time in an environment in which I did not feel like an outsider. I loved the city, I enjoyed the food and beers there. It was great to interact with the people there and feel like I fit in.
I worked for a few years for a friend who owned a small publishing company. I thoroughly enjoyed doing this. It gave me the opportunity to go to conventions to sell books. I especially enjoyed going to the furry cons. These were especially enjoyable because of the welcoming, relaxed atmosphere. It showed me that there places in this country where I could fit in.
In 2008 I moved to Lawrence, Kansas after being urged by a friend to give it a try. I had visited there, and I knew there was the chance of making friends there. I arrived in Lawrence on a Saturday, and I had a temp job on the following Tuesday. This eventually became a full time job. I met friends at that job with whom I am still friends. I hope eventually to be able to move back there.
In 2013 I went to Rhode Island to be with someone I had met through Facebook. This was a mistake. I really wanted to visit first before making the move, but I had talked to this guy frequently online, through texts and on the phone. I did have some misgivings, but I thought this was the right move. In this instance I really fucked up. I should have listened to my roommate and my gut and tried to find somewhere to live in Lawrence. At the same time I did need a break from the job that I was doing. I am currently trying to find a way back to Kansas and that job. I miss my friends there. One good thing that I have learned from this experience is that these guys are true friends.
I keep being reminded of something from a Butthole Surfers' song. I do not remember the exacts words, but it says that the funny thing about regret is that it is better to regret something you have done than to regret you didn't do. I completely agree with this.
I am going through a rough patch in my life, but I know that things will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment