Saturday, September 13, 2014

Kurwa Mać, I want to go back to Europe

I long to be able to travel around the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Russia and Ukraine so that I can learn more about the cultures and the languages. I cannot explain logically my attraction to these places. I just know that I feel it very strongly. Seeing the flags of these countries stirs feelings that seeing that of my own country never has. I remember watching the film "The Unbearable Lightness of Being." The scene where the Russian army moves into Prague in 1968 was heartbreaking for me. I almost could not watch it. The short film "The Death of Stalinism in Bohemia" by Jan Švankmajer is very moving to me. Seeing the Czech flag being painted on items touches me in ways I cannot explain. I am embarrassed by how little I know about Slovakia, but I am drawn to its music and language. When I am very tired or drunk and I want to do anything with numbers I have to do it in Slovak. I have long been drawn to the music, literature, films, art and people of Poland. I discovered the writings of Sławomir Mrożek in translation when I was in college. In music classes I wan introduced to the music or Krszytof Penderecki and Witold Lutosławski. I first got introduced to Polish cinema by Roman Polanski's film "Nóż w wodzie." I then became interested in the films of Krzysztof Kieślowski. I am also interested in other Polish filmmakers. My interest in Ukraine was first piqued by people I met from there in Lawrence, Kansas and in Prague. This interest has been fueled more by Eugene Hutz and his group Gogol Bordello and his work in films. I cannot say with certainty that I would be able to live long-term in this area of the world, but I would like to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment