Sunday, September 7, 2014

One Minute that changed my Life

Sometimes things that end up changing our lives can take less than a minute to happen. Twenty-one years ago I was attending an informal Mass on Wednesdays at noon. One day after Mass was over I spoke to someone I had not seen there before. He gave me his business card. I did not think that much would happen after this encounter, but soon we started meeting once a week for lunch. This happened on 8 September 1993. This would have been my Grandmother's 100th birthday. When I met him there had been about a minute during which I could have met him. If I had not spoken to him my life would have been completely different.
He was getting ready to buy a house and wanted someone he trusted to move in and help with expenses. I did not know when I moved in that he was starting a church in the city in which we were living, but I eventually got involved in this. During the time that I have known I have worked with him in starting several churches. Some of the people in the churches thought I was a bit too radical, but he has been a good friend since we met. He is someone from whom I hide very little. We still talk occasionally on the phone.We do not always agree about everything, but our political views are very similar. I am a bit more liberal than him in some areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment