Sunday, September 21, 2014

Let's Reach Out to Each Other in Love to end Hunger and Oppression

When I was in school I was a member of the campus Jaycees. At first I was happy to be part of a group that was helping people, but I started to see the hypocrisy of the organization. The Jaycees would give points to certain actions. They would decide on whom they would help based on the number of points they would receive for the action. They were very fond of patting themselves on the back. They seemed to be interested only in making themselves look good, and not so much in really helping others. I got tired of the hypocrisy and left the organization. In the Gospels we are told to do things others, because in doing so we are doing things for Christ. I am not trying to be offensive, just expressing how I feel about the matter. Did Jesus say this because he thought we would not do things for another simply out of love for that person? If I do something for someone I do not want to do it out of any motivation other than love for that person. As much as possible I want to do things for others without attention being put on me. I know that I have not done as much as I could for other people, and I want to change that. I am going to stand up more and more for the rights of all people. All people are valuable and deserve the same rights. No person is more deserving than another. I cannot express the pain that it gives me to know that in some countries people are still being killed for being gay or for being Christian or for anything that might be considered a sin in their culture. Wherever there is oppression we need to stand up against it. I know I am a small voice here, but if we all raise up our voices together our small voices will become a giant roar.

No comments:

Post a Comment