Monday, September 22, 2014

Want Good Liquor? Forget France Look to Poland, the Czech Republic, Russia or Ukraine

Without a doubt France has some of the best wines, but if I want good liquor I look elsewhere. Eastern Europe, Scotland or Ireland. There is Cognac, of course, but not much else. Grey Goose is overrated. There are less expensive vodkas from Poland and Russia that taste better. Grey Goose is for wannabe snobs who want to impress. I would prefer Sobieski Wódka or Hammer and Sickle or Standard. They are of a superior quality and cost less. I would love to try Czech vodka or something from Ukraine, especially one I mentioned previously, Babička. I think it's interesting that a vodka with wormwood is named Grandmother. I have had French Absinthe and Czech Absinthe. I prefer the Czech. Though I am probably one of the few people who prefer to drink it without adding sugar. I like it with nothing added. Under the right circumstances with the right friends I might drink it in the traditional method as a way of bonding with the friends through the ritual. I have a couple of Absinthe spoons that I have not used. I would like to be able to afford a good bottle of Scotch. Once years ago I was drinking Scotch with a friend from Scotland. He was drinking it with water, and I was drinking it neat. For me don't add water or ice. To add anything to it is blasphemy. My favorite beers are from Harviestoun in Scotland, they are the different versions od Ola Dubh. Ola Dubh is brewed in old whiskey barrels, 12, 16, 18, 30 or 40 depending on how long the Scotch was distilled in the barrel. It is a bit pricey but worth it. It has a smooth taste and it is dark and strong. (The way I like my men...well sometimes) I want to mention three of my favorite beers from Avery brewing in Colorado, Samael's, The Beast and Mephistopheles. I was introduced to these by a boss in Kansas. They are best aged at least two years. These are not for the faint of heart. When I go back to Europe I will definitely take my flask with me for the occasional sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment