Saturday, September 20, 2014

Preserved Fish, Orange Dodge and Odd Accidents

People often act like giving children unusual names is a new phenomenon. This is not the case. There have been some odd names in my family history. In the late eighteenth century Preserved Fish was born in Massachusetts, and in the early nineteenth century Orange W. Henry Dodge was born in Massena, New York. So I am related to a Preserved Fish and an Orange Dodge. There was another relative in the nineteenth century who had a pet monkey. In her will it stated that she wanted the monkey to be put to sleep and buried with her. According to an aunt this was done.
I have had some unusual accidents. Once I somehow cut my hand when I picked up a basketball. I never knew exactly how I did that, but I remember that there were witnesses. Yet I once ran through a patch of broken glass, maybe a little over a foot wide, barefoot without cutting my feet. What the fuck? I cut myself on a round object but not on broken glass. Another time after I had had my hair cut and dyed I ran my fingers through my hair. When I looked at my hand afterwards I saw a cut on my hand. Once I was riding my bicycle out on a country road. It was a very hilly road. My front tire hit a small stick. I was going uphill, but somehow the front tire stopped and the rear tire became airborne. I was pitched off of the bike landing on the road chin first. I was not aware where I was hurt. I just knew I needed to get home. I went up steep hills in the highest gear. I almost passed out when I got home. My mother did not notice my chin at first, she just saw blood on my hand. When she saw my chin she had me taken to the hospital where I got several stitches. Another time I was riding my bicycle during the winter. I was wearing a long muffler. It had come undone. I was trying to get it back in place when I hit a parked car. I still have a scar on my wrist from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment