Sunday, September 7, 2014

Cellophane Tape, Lucio Dalla and the Beginning of a Friendship

I am listening to a cd by Lucio Dalla. His music always brings back pleasant memories.
It was the beginning of my third year at UNC-G, and a guy who was started came up and spoke to me. He said, "I am going to get some cellophane tape, and you're going with me." I did not know at the time that this would lead to a friendship that would continue until this day.
He had some 45's that he had bought as a child in Switzerland. One was "Insieme" by Mina and another had the song 4/3/1943 by Lucio Dalla. I do not remember what the other songs were. I remember he would sometimes sing parts of "Insieme."
He was the person I had met who would come to see me or to invite me to do things with him. Around the beginning of the fall semester his roommate and my roommate wanted to room together. We were roommates in the dorm for two semesters. Another friend and I went to spend Thanksgiving with him, his mother and sister.
We have gone through hard times and good times together. He was my first real friend. There have been times when we have not communicated, but I have never doubted this friendship. He and his wife are part of my extended family. My life has been enriched by knowing both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment