Monday, September 1, 2014

Fuck Big Brother

When I was looking for a job I went to several workshops on resume writing, interviewing, etc. Presenters often talked about being careful about what you post on Facebook, in blogs, on Twitter and in other places online. They advised Googling your own name to see what showed up. I listened to what they were saying at first. Then I started asking myself if I would really want to work for somebody who was that interested in what I would be doing outside of work. As long as what someone does online does not interfere with their work performance I do not see how it is any of the employer's business. I do not want to know what my boss does outside of work. I am not going to shove my opinions or what I do outside of work down the throats of my co-workers or employers, but I do not want to have to hide who I am. It seems that too many employers want to be Big Brother. I would think that employees would be more productive if they could focus on their jobs when they are at work and did not have to worry about whether or not what they post online may cause them to lose their jobs. I know that I do my best work when I am in an environment where that is the case. I am not going to hide who I am. If other people have a problem with that, fuck 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment