Thursday, April 16, 2015

American Companies Tend to Sabotage Productivity

It seems that in places where I have worked the companies did everything that studies have shown to lower production from their workers. It seems like they forget that their workers are people. There is too much focus on disciplining instead of encouraging. When I do a job I do the best job that I can, but this usually does not seem to be appreciated. Whenever I make a mistake or my supervisor think that I made a mistake that was made my supervisor jumps on that immediately. This makes me nervous. Policies are often arbitrarily applied. What is considered a grave error for one person is considered all right for someone else. I am speaking of workers at the same level who should both be following the same procedures. Many companies underpay and overwork their workers. Low pay affects the workers in at least two ways. It can make them feel that their work is not worth very much. It can also lead to stress about money matters. This has a detrimental effect on their work. Workers who are overworked are more likely to have accidents and make mistakes. This is bad for the workers, and it costs the companies in lost-time accidents and in loss of materials. Workers are often not given all of the information that they need to get their jobs done. If they ask for this information they are often treated with irritation. I have worked with supervisors who speak rudely to those working under them. This bad attitude often is reflected in the attitudes of workers towards each other. This causes a hostile work environment. Workers who are happy are more productive. In the long run it would cost companies less to pay their employees more, work them less, show appreciation for good work and encourage them to find the best way to do their jobs. Emphasis should be put on encouraging good work instead of punishing mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment