Tuesday, April 21, 2015

More on Stereotypes

When we realize that we believe stereotypes concerning groups of people beating ourselves up about it does no good. We need to realize that these stereotypes are not true. We have to confront them and get rid of them. It does no good to ignore them. I know that stereotypes about gay men are not believed by only homophobic people. Once I went into a gay bar with some friends, and I met the owner of the bar. At the time I was using my middle name, Bruce. When were introduced he said, "Bruce, what a gay name? Are you a hairdresser or an interior decorator?" My first impulse was to want to punch him in the face. He himself was a gay man, and he believed the stereotypes about gay men. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to counteract things that we grew up being taught. Sometimes the way we are taught stereotypes is very subtle and not intended. The key to combating stereutypes in ourselves and others is through education. Whenever I hear someone generalizing about groups of people I like to point out examples that show that stereotypes are not true. Just like I cannot pull a splinter out of my finger without seeing it I cannot rid myself of prejudicial views without first admitting it is there and needs to be gotten rid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment