Monday, April 13, 2015

Starting off the Day with Cuban Jazz

I am listening to the jazz from "I Am Time." This is a good way to wake up. I would like to hear more from some of the musicians represented here. "Sobre un canto a Eleggua" by Grupo Afro-Cuba is an example of one of the kinds of music I enjoy a lot. It has a improvisatory sound and combines different styles of music. From the name of the band you can guess what two of those styles are. There is freestyle jazz thrown in. I wish I could listen to these CD's at work. They would definitely help the day to go by faster.

I switched to the first disc, "Cuban Invocations." The first song "El sinsonte" by Pancho Quinto y su Grupo Añag is strongly African in sound. It starts with an African chant. I wish I could be more specific about which part of Africa. The sound of African percussion is something I enjoy very much. Cuban music and American music have origins in that sound. "La voz del Congo" by Clave y Guaguancó is another song I like very much.

My sister plays a country radio station in her car, so that is what I hear before I get to work. Sometimes the last song I hear gets stuck in my mind. Unfortunately often this is one of the worse songs from that station. If all of the country music one heard was what they played on this station one could come to the conclusion that what makes country music country music is that it is sung by in a Southern accent by someone who really does not sing very well. Fortunately at work I have been able to switch my mental radio station to Gogol Bordello. That does help my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment