Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Musings on Not Fitting Into Mainstream American Culture

Sometimes I forget that that not everybody is familiar with some of my favorite music. I don't listen to the radio, so I am not in touch with what is popular here. I have other sources of musical tastes. When reading about Rammstein I learned about Laibach, and through Laibach I learned about Einstürzende Neubauten. I heard about Orlík from a friend, and from the title of one of their songs I heard about Tři Sestry. It may have been a cover of one of their songs, "Skinhead (Tři Sestry). From the same friend I learned about Buty, Richard Müller, Dežo Ursiny, Petr Lipa, This Is Kevin, Bára Basiková, Michal Pavlíček and others. I do not remember how I found out about the music of Gogol Bordello, maybe from Amazon. My musical taste would not be considered obscure in some countries. I start to talk about music or films that I enjoy and realize that I would probably have to explain what I am talking about. I have a tendency to forget things that most people take for granted. Sometimes I forget that people still watch TV and listen to the radio. I usually watch DVD's and videos online and listen to CD's and Pandora Radio. I might not feel as much like an outsider in another country. I would still be different from everybody else, but I would feel more at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment