Monday, April 27, 2015

Another Day of Enjoying Being Me

I am going to enjoy this day. I may be working a shitty job, but I can still enjoy being me. I am not going to hide who I am. Many people are afraid of letting other people see their true selves. Everybody has something they hide. When I was in school in an Italian class we read a story about a man who was leading a double life. He was married with children, and at the same time he was having an affair. It may have been called "La doppia vita." There were some people who were shocked when I said that we all live a double life to some degree. I was not completely out at that time. I am not advocating telling everybody about everything in our lives, but I am saying that we should not have to hide our true selves. If someone asks me why I am not married I say that I have not met the right man yet. There are limits to this openness of course. If I could afford to smoke pot I would not talk at work about smoking or in any circumstance where it could cause legal problems. (I am for the total legalization of pot.) To some degree everybody is encouraged to hide their sexuality. Sex is treated as something to hide. Masturbation is treated as a guilty pleasure. Many people do it, and it is a healthy release. We do not need to talk about it, but we also do not need to hide the fact that we do it. Of course there are venues where discussing giving pleasure to ourselves can be fun. Children should be taught to be comfortable with whatever their sexual orientation is and whatever their gender identity is. They should be encouraged to be comfortable with all aspects of who they are. They should also be taught to accept the diversity of humanity. It is only harmful behavior that should be discouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment