Sunday, April 12, 2015

"I Am Time" (Collection of Cuban Music)

I have been listening to "I Am Time." It is a collection of Cuban music. There are four CD's, "Cuban Invocations," "Cantar en Cuba," "Bailar con Cuba" and "Cubano Jazz." These discs reflect the richness of Cuban culture. In school one of my professors was from Cuba. He had been a lawyer for Fidel Castro until 1959 when he realized what Castro had in mind for the country. He sparked a love for Cuban culture in me. He would have parties for the students in his classes from time to time. I prefer the music here that is shows an African influence. I prefer the music on the first two discs. The music on these discs has a freer feel. I am not especially fond of dance music that has a rhythm that is too strong and regular. The dance music on "Bailar con Cuba" is among some of my favorite  Latin dance music. The beat is not as regular as that in Cumbias and some other forms of Latin dance music. I do not think that I could dance appropriately to this music, but it does make me want to move. I prefer the pieces that are more improvisatory in nature. In the booklet with the CD's there is a photo of an ass's jawbone that was used as a musical instrument. I would like to know how the jawbone of a donkey could be used as a musical instrument. It is literally the jawbone from a donkey. These discs cover a long span of time. There is music from some of the classic performers of Cuba. Juan Formell y Los Van Van and Sintesis for example. I am not saying that I do not like the dance and jazz Cd's. All of the music on these discs is awesome. "Mambo," by Mario Bauza, is great. I will write more on this music and the music of "Buena Vista Music Club" later.

No comments:

Post a Comment