Thursday, April 23, 2015

Stranger in a Really Strange Land

I never fit in in ny hometown, and it seems like I fit in less than I did when I was growing up. I got rid of my Southern accent long ago. I did ths, not because I was ashamed of being Southern, maybe partly, but because I did not want that accent to affect how I spoke languages other than English. I once spoke with a heavy Southern accent when I was very young, but I remember my sisters laughing about it. After living away from this town my vocabulary has changed. At times it seems as if I were speaking a different language from the English speaking people around me. Even before I left this town for college people would ask what country I was from. Sometimes when people here speak to me I do not immediately understand them, and it is not always easy to make myself understood. This is true even in my own family. This does not make communication easy. I will be happy when I can get away from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment