Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Jerseys on eBay and musing on flexibility of thought

There is a German jersey I am watching on eBay as well as a Hungarian one. I need to be more careful about my spending. I need to try and save some money. It is like an addiction for me. I cannot find happiness in things. I can only find happiness within myself. That is not to say that I do not get some enjoyment from the jerseys that I have bought. It does bring a feeling of connection to the countries represented by them.

I sometimes forget that other people are not as flexible in their thinking as I am. I was trying to talk to someone about American football and what most of the world calls football, or what we in the U.S. call soccer. I mentioned that soccer is a term that originated in England. To me it is more logical to speak of soccer as football. I do not know how American football came to be called football. I know I could look it up online, maybe I will do that later. Anyway, many people only see things from the point of view of the culture in which they were raised. My brain no longer works that way. I do admit that I sometimes have difficulty seeing things from the point of view of the culture I grew up. There are things that I liked as a child that seem foreign to me now. Sometimes when I speak in English with the people in my hometown it seems like we are speaking different languages. It is not a question of good and bad. It is only a question of being different. My perspective has become more international. I am not better or worse than anyone else. I am just me, and I am happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment