Monday, December 8, 2014

A Short Post About Intelligence

One conclusion that I have reached is that I do not have to prove my intelligence to anyone not even to myself. I have allowed myself to be bothered for too long by high average scores on tests that score IQ. I have never been very good at taking multiple choice tests. I am better at doing tests that require writing and imagination. With writing or talking it is easier for me to express what I know or to bullshit my way through what I am not sure about. I am especially fond of pointing out a different point of view.  Sometimes people talk about "thinking outside the box" as if it is something that few people can do. For me thinking inside the box is something I am not very good at. Once I said to someone "I am here mentally but not physically." She thought that I was being very clever. There was nothing clever about what I said. I just switched the words around. I am sometimes a little irritated by people are too fast to come to conclusions about my intelligence or lack of intelligence. Until I get to know someone I try not to jump to conclusions too fast concerning their intelligence. People express their intelligence in different ways. Someone may have a great deal of intelligence but little education. I have known people who thought they were not smart because they did not finish high school or reach some other educational goal, but through getting to know them I saw that they were some of the most intelligent people I know. I have to remind myself that just because I did not continue in college after getting my B.A. does not mean that I lack intelligence. I need to start  telling myself what I tell other people about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment