Thursday, December 4, 2014

The First Installment on the Inaccuracies in the "History" Textbooks Used in Classes in the United States

The people who are usually referred to as "Native Americans" have been treated unfairly in history books and many "Westerns." I remember being taught that they were savages who attacked settlers who came here from Europe. They were not savages. It seems to be overlooked that they were defending their own land from invaders. They were trying to keep their own land from being stolen from them. I do remember reading about the broken treaties between the U.S. and the peoples whose land this had been. As most people know these treaties were broken by the U.S., and the U.S. is again ignoring treaties in regards to plans for the Keystone Pipeline to cross lands owned by Native American tribes. I have never been a fan of Westerns, but I remember seeing scenes where Native Americans were portrayed as villains, and the "settlers" were portrayed as innocent victims. This is a twisting of how things really were.  The "settlers" were really invading land to which they had no rights.
I do not like the term "Native Americans," but it is better than "Indians." I would prefer to use the name that the people used themselves, but I am referring to different groups of people. I am also ignorant of the real names of these peoples.
Much of what is written in history textbooks in this country is inaccurate. I have heard complaints that history taught in other countries is propaganda. The same thing is true concerning the history being taught in most of the United States.
There will be more to come on this topic at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment