Monday, December 29, 2014

Why Are We Taught To Be Ashamed of Our Bodies?

I cannot understand prudishness about nudity. It does not make sense to me that it is frowned on more in our society for a child to see nudity than it is for a child to see violence. In some places it is legal for someone to walk around with a loaded gun displayed openly, but it is not legal for people to walk around with parts of their anatomy showing. This makes no sense to me. A gun is more likely to hurt someone than a bared cock or a bared pair of breasts. If we were brought up with a healthier attitude about nudity and respect for all people this would not be as much of an issue. If we were taught to treat each other with respect we would not have to be worried about anybody being objectified whether they are clothed or nude. I have never thought that someone being nude was an invitation for me to make sexual advances. This did cause a misunderstanding with someone with whom I was in a relationship. He would sometimes come out of the shower naked, and I did not always assume this was a invitation to sex. I found out that he was disappointed that this was the case. He had intended his nudity to be an invitation for sex, but he had not told me that. Often people have juvenile attitudes concerning nude beaches or other places where nudity is allowed. Nudity is not always a prelude to sex. We may appreciate the appearance of the naked bodies of others, but that does not give anyone the right to make unwanted sexual advances. I have said before that I like for men to make sexual advances towards me, but that is not true in all circumstances. I do have my limits. I have not been to a nude beach, and I do not know how I would feel about a man making sexual advances towards me. I probably would get an erection. Not that I think that would necessarily be a bad thing. Most people are not brought up with a healthy attitude about sexuality as well. I am not going to deal with sex in public places at this time, but I think that as children should be taught that sex is not something to be ashamed and should always be done with respect and consent. Children should be taught not to be ashamed of their bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment