Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Nightwatchman, Rage Against the Machine and a question Concerning Christianity

I have been listening to The Nightwatchman,Tom Morello, best know for his work with Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. I have long been a fan of RATM. Tom Morello continues with the political statements  made by RATM. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed at first that he did not continue using some of the guitar techniques that he used with that band. That disappointment did not last long at all. I cannot say that I prefer one style to the other. I read some negative reviews of his CD's on Amazon, but most are positive. The complaint of the negative reviews is that he does not play the same way he used to play. I think he is trying to let the message of his songs take center stage. I find myself inspired by his songs to take a stand. I know that I cannot change the world by myself, but I can make a difference. Rage Against the Machine remains one of my favorite bands. I know people who like their music "in spite of"their political views. For me their political views add to my appreciation of their music. I also really enjoy their music from a strictly musical perspective. I wish that I had been able to see them perform in concert. I hope that Tom Morello continues to perform as a musician and to express his political views. His music reminds me of Victor Jara. He is in the tradition of folk singers who speak out for freedom.

One view of Christianity that I have difficulty grasping is that we are created to worship and love God. Wait a minute. This makes God seem very narcissistic. Why is there such a tendency to anthropomorphize God? This view does not make God seem very lovable. We are supposed to love God with all of our being of be punished eternally? Somethings seems fucked up about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment