Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Is There a Link Between Deification In the Roman Empire and Canonization in THe Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

One of the things that I have sometimes wondered about is whether is a connection between canonization of saints in the Catholic and Orthodox churches and deification in the Roman Empire. Usually it was the Emperors who were said to be canonized. I do not know how accurate the historical accounts were in the book and miniseries I, Claudius, but I remember that Caligula's mother begged him to have her deified after her death, so that she would live after death. I will have to do some more research in this area. It just seems to me that the idea of canonization could have its roots there. Nowhere in the Bible does it refer to anything similar to this. I think it is the height of arrogance for someone to think they can decide whether or not someone is a saint and can therefore go directly to heaven. I know there are guidelines for this, but what are the guidelines for this? The person has to have been dead for a certain amount of time. This amount of time is shortened for Popes. This seems similar to the idea of the Emperors being deified at their death. I know Saints are not considered gods, but some of them have legends that seem questionable built up around them. Then we come to the question of beatification and the step from beatification to canonization. I may be mistaken about these things, but I do wonder about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment